2018 has been a tremendous year for sport. Many shocks and special stories took place, alongside a fair amount of triumph and tragedy. For every moment like Croatia reaching the 2018 FIFA World Cup Final, we had moments of personal loss. We had many special moments to remember, though, and 2019 looks to be just the same.
What, then, are some of the biggest sporting events waiting for us in 2019? What kind of moments can the biggest sports fans start to book up in their calendar?
Is it likely to top 2018? We don’t know, but the following events sound pretty juicy.
Sporting events of 2019
- The African Cup of Nations. The flagship football sporting event of 2019 at international level is the 2019 African Cup of Nations. This edition will be played in the summer, and is the 32nd edition of the tournament.
- The Super Bowl. The 2019 Super Bowl will take place in Atlanta, Georgia, and looks set to be a showpiece event. It’s always one of the biggest games in American sports, but a dramatic and contentious season full of twists and turns ensures that this will continue.
- The Masters. As arguably the biggest event in golf, the April 2019 Masters over in Augusta is sure to bring the crowds as well as the neutrals. If there is a tournament to watch to get you into golf, this is probably it: a spectacular sporting event full of incredible drama.
- UEFA Champions League Final. The late May/early June showpiece final will be held this year in Madrid, at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium. Many favorites exist, including Atletico Madrid – the owners of the host stadium. Expect one of the most open UEFA Champions League seasons in recent memory in 2019.
- Women’s World Cup. The 8th edition of the FIFA Women’s World Cup looks set to be the best yet. This year, it’s held in France and will see some truly special ties taking place – not least the tie of the ‘Auld Enemy’ between Scotland and England in what is often a frenetic tie.
- Rugby World Cup. Held in Japan, the Rugby World Cup of 2019 might be the most open in a long time. Expect this to be a tremendous sporting event filled with shocks, as more countries than ever look ready to make a push for the coveted title.
Which sporting events are you most looking forward to as we head into 2019?